BEING THE OTHER WOMAN...diary of a mistress (1).

BEING THE OTHER WOMAN- diary of a mistress (1)

Let me introduce myself, my name is Akunna Olumide, I am a yoruba-igbo lady living in Lagos, I am currently in service to Nigeria, I live alone as my dad is late and my mom lives back in my hometown of illorin in Kwara state, I am an only child. You might think my introduction unnecessary but I have just opened this diary and it is going to be for my eyes only until I die, then it can be giving out to my great grand kids or published or whatever, I wouldn't care, would I? Who am I kidding, do I actually think I'll have such a fulfilled life? Having not just kids but grand kids and great grand kids? Right now, the point I am at in my life, I very much doubt that. Don't get me wrong, I am quite happy, I am comfortable, I have everything I want as a lady, or so I think, I have great friends, my mom is old but loves me, what else can a girl need?.
    Let me back up a little, I was born 26 years ago to Mr Titus Olumide and Mrs Chika Olumide, my parents had been hoping and praying for a child for over 30 years after their marriage, all hope was lost, medical-wise, but my dad was a very religious man and trusted that God would give him a child at the right time, my mom though also religious didn't share that same faith with him, and it caused a lot of distance between them, one night my dad went out and got drunk for the first time in his life, he came home and my mom felt sorry for being the reason for his pain, gave him a cold bath and made him have sex with her, call it pity sex, but it led to me, this is the version of story I heard from my mother, so I urge you to believe it as I did.
    Anyway, my parents raised me in the ways of God, my mom didn't care if I was a special child, and she didn't spare the rod, even though I know how much she loved me, my dad on the other hand let me have my way all the time and I got away with a lot of mischief, whenever I did something wrong and I knew I was going to be spanked, I would run from my mother to my fathers arms, that safe haven, and he would laugh, oh how wonderful his laugh sounded, he would lovingly chide me and go ahead to buy me presents. So you can imagine what I felt when at the age of 12 my dad died after he was hit by a drunk driver, the driver didn't even stop to see if my dad was breathing, he sped off, dad passed some hours later from internal bleeding. I was in school at the time, I had been naughty, as usual, and my teacher had brought me home to report me to my parents, as we got inside the house I heard my mother screaming and other neighbourse shouting, and saw a crowd gathered at our door, i just knew my worst fear had come alive, my teacher tried to take me away, to not let me go in, but I knew mom needed me, and I needed her, I went in and mom just held on to me, weeping, I was stiff, I shed no single tear, and at that point, I knew the world as I knew it was over, everything had changed.
    I was just about to enter into secondary school, my mum was 62, how were we to cope, everything became seemingly unbearable, my mother was forced to send me to live with a relative in Festac town, I spent 3 years there, and I don't remember ever smiling or laughing at anything, I had become this sullen teenager, there was nothing else to live for, so I just went through the motions to make mother happy, I did well in school, was respectful, was dutiful but never happy. I went back home after my Junior WAEC papers, mom had begun a trade in front of out apartment, when got home and I stared at her, I felt the loss of my dad again, my mom looked really frail and old, she used to be so vibrant, always laughing and teasing , and she had never worked a day in her life and here she was arguing over the price of smoked fish with a customer, I wanted to be happy, I tried to smile, to make her know that I was okay, but I couldn't , so I shrunk back into myself, it was safer for me from all these feelings, my mum saw an unhappy sullen child, and she felt helpless because I wouldn't let her in, I didn't blame her, I blamed my dad, for leaving her like that, I went into the house, thankfully we had not been evicted, my dad's friends really helped out, I walked slowly into my room, laid on the bed and cried, I cried for my dad, I cried for my mom, I cried for the world, and I cried for myself, for my lost adolescence.         Picking up the remaining pieces of our lives, mom and I got to understand and respect each other, we became more like friends and sisters, we talked, we laughed, we became a family again, and dad became a phantom hovering over us, never forgotten.
    Things got much better, mom's business grew and we had saved enough money to cover the rest of my education. I got admitted into the university of Lagos, just so I could be close to mum, to study Mass Communications, this period of my life was wonderful, I made friends, I was no longer that depressed teenager, I was a woman, I was sure, I was stronger, I was also just 18. It was an emotional sight watching mom drop me off at school with all the provisions in the world, we hugged, cried, which was unnecessary because we agreed I would come home every other weekend.
    My first year was great, I made good grades and saw my mom very often, I made really cool friends , it was in my first year that I met Ujunwa, she was a medical student in her third year, and we became best friends almost immediately, people actually thought we were sisters and we felt more like sisters too. We talked about everything, did everything together and apart from some minor squabbles, we had a productive friendship.
    Fast forward about two years later, I am in my third year, still single, still a virgin, still not interested in a relationship, then I fall in love, he is so attentive, loving, wonderful, everything my dad was, I am immediately drawn to him, everything he says seems so intelligent, I ignore Uju's warnings, I am in love, but there is slight problem, he is married with two sons.


N.B I AM SO SO SORRY THAT I HAVEN'T POSTED ANYTHING RECENTLY, I HAVE MISSED YOU TOO. I HOPE YOU ENJOYED THIS STORY, AND I HOPE YOU ALSO RELATE WITH IT, THE NEXT PART IS COMING SOON, AKUNNA OLUMIDE IS GOING TO BE A RECURRING CHARACTER ON THE BLOG, I HOPE YOU ENJOY HER. DONT FORGET TO COMMENT, LIKE AND SHARE TO YOUR FRIENDS. THANK YOU. I LOVE YOU.

Comments

  1. Part romace,suspense and intriguing thriller like.Nice piece.u need an editor .call me.08066629205.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's love at first sight. She suld go back and rethink. Love is a fantacy some say, probably this is a mirage

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an interesting way of looking at at @mary ayomide , but what would rethinking do to help, she is already in the relationship, so I am certain she isn't thinking about consequences at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew I cld be so calm reading this but there I was reading witht missing a word it was worth it...job welldone dear can't wait for the concluding part

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Yoruba Demon Theory (YDT)

BEING THE OTHER WOMAN...diary of a mistress (2)