In A Country Where The Uniform Means Fear

    Something really peculiar happened last night, I don't know what to make of it or how properly to address it, all I know is it got me really upset and wondering where this country was headed to. Especially the military aspect of the country, are there no laws governing the military? Isn't there a body they answer to? Yes, yes I know they have superiors, but do they count? Because it seems these soldiers are out of control, they do whatever they like and intimidate the "bloody" civilians! Do they not realize that this is a democracy? It is a civilian government and even though the current president was once a Military Head of state, the military days are over?
    I was in a bus to ijegun, I boarded the bus from Jakande Estate in Lagos state, while I was in the bus, as usual sitting by the window side, I noticed sudden movements, some people were running, buses on the lane swerving out of the way, then I saw that a local tout was swinging at bus drivers with a belt, telling them to leave the road, now from Jakande gate going to Ijegun, the bus is supposed to take the right lane, and it is a straight road, so I didn't quite understand, at first, why the tout wanted the buses to clear the road for a vehicle leaving the Ijegun road, I might not know much about driving rules, but I know that's a one way route and it's against all traffic rules, I conceded that it probably was an ambulance or some sought of emergency, the next thing I saw shocked me to anger, right beside the tout was a soldier in uniform using his belt to flog civilians to clear the road for the car coming, our bus driver trying to avoid being hit quickly turned left and parked, and as the car drove by slowly I saw the passengers where three other soldiers in uniform and two ladies, one of the ladies was holding a red cup, used in parties to share drinks,I think its called a Solo cup or beer pong, and they were laughing! They were laughing! It was funny to them, they were harrasing civilians and breaking the law and using their uniforms to oppress people! While they passed me, the driver, a very young guy of about 28 caught my eyes, he was also laughing, they were teasing their friend who was using his belt to clear the way, he saw me and I quickly put on my disapproval face and shook my head, not that it made any difference to them.
    The story was they were on their way out, to have fun, and because the traffic was really heavy on the other lane, the left lane where they should have been on, they decided to use the one way lane, and since it was against the rules, they used their uniforms to pass through! A police van was parked right at the gate, but nothing happened. After this, the bus was filled with people's opinions about what had just happened, some people strongly disapproving, some just laughing and saying "who wan question soldier" "na soldier dey rule" and other stupid statements like that. I kept quiet the whole trip, I was fuming! I kept asking myself how long it must go on! How long would the soldiers continue to break laws and go unpunished!? These soldiers in question might not even have ever been on active duty or been combatants in any crisis, they probably just graduated from the academy and immediately they collected their uniforms felt the need to establish their power.
    For what reasons do people go into the force? For the protection of citizens? To attain unlimited power against defenseless folks? For revenge? Or to instill fear in "spineless civilians"? Why is it a crime for a civilian to wear any form of camouflage? Why would they beat up people for wearing anything with a semblance of camouflage!? Why!? Why!?...
    I heard somewhere that a soldier's life is equated with 20 civilians lives? How reasonable is that? And how true? I need your views on this. Also share your experiences of abuse and oppression from these soldiers. #notosoldierswahala #nototerrorinuniform


DON'T FORGET TO COMMENTS AND LEAVE FEEDBACKS AND ALSO SHARE WITH FRIENDS. GOD BLESS YOU!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BEING THE OTHER WOMAN...diary of a mistress (1).

The Yoruba Demon Theory (YDT)

BEING THE OTHER WOMAN...diary of a mistress (2)